The New IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 course
- 13th April 2016
- Posted by: Juan van Niekerk
- Category: Health and Safety
IOSH (Institution of Occupational Safety and Health) have released an update to their IOSH Managing Safely course, entitled IOSH Managing Safely 4.0. This course is now fully accredited by IOSH and includes updated and more relevant information to ensure that your health and safety skills are kept up to date.
This IOSH Managing Safely certification is applicable to all sectors of industry and is regarded a front runner in the field of managing health and safety in the workplace. Taking on the responsibility of your co-workers’ safety and health while they are at work can be a daunting prospect, but ensuring that it is done correctly and by following the applicable legislation, it can become a very rewarding task.
Who is the Managing Safely course for?
The New IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 course is aimed at managers, supervisors and anyone that is interested in taking up IOSH training for their role in a health and safety capacity within their workplace. It has a strong focus on the activities that need to be covered in order to ensure that health and safety risks are managed appropriately and are kept aligned with their organisation’s policies.
The course also teaches the student best practices in IOSH health and safety, ensuring that risks are managed and controlled according to the applicable legislation. Those that are charged with the responsibility of their organisation’s health and safety aspects will greatly benefit from this course as it will outline the tools you will need when carrying out your duties in this capacity.
What is new in the IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 course?
New features that you can expect to see in the IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 course are:
New course features:
- A more visually alluring format has been incorporated, ensuring that students are able to follow with ease using added visual aids.
- Navigation has been improved with a more streamlined approach to switching between modules, making it easier to find the content that you are looking for.
- The outcome of your studies have been defined to be more easily understood.
- Statistics that are stated in the modules have been updated to reflect more recent numbers.
- The section that deals with legislation has been condensed, making it easier to follow and negating the overuse of legal terms and language.
- A new section has been included, covering the HSG65 Plan, Do, Check, Act elements in a more defined and less cluttered manner.
New exam features:
- You will no longer have to wait 10 days before retaking the exam if you are unsuccessful at your first try.
- Exams will now be marked automatically as soon as you have finished.
- The assignment that you will be required to complete has been made less arduous.
- You will now be able to complete and submit your assignment online where it will be marked after submission.
Managing Safely IOSH training course content
While studying the IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 course, you will be covering various topics including the following:
- The meaning of the term “working safely”.
- The definition of risks and hazards relating to occupational safety and health.
- A closer look at the component parts that make up a recognised safety system including BS 8800 (Health and Safety Management Guidance Standard), HSG65 (Successful Health and Safety Management) and OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems).
- The procedures that need to be followed when investigating an accident in the workplace.
- Identification of the techniques and information that is needed in order to create an accurate record of a safety incident in the workplace, ensuring that this information and documentation can be reviewed when necessary.
- Examining the statutory requirements when reporting incidents.
- Using reactive monitoring (monitoring evidence of insufficient health and safety practice) using epidemiology (shaping decisions towards health and safety policies as well as the identification of risk factors and preventative healthcare targets).
- Identifying the legal requirements during a risk assessment.
- The information that is required when creating reports, ensuring that only relevant information is included.
- Understanding quantitative or measurable risk assessment techniques.
- Workplace precaution hierarchies.
- Active monitoring checklists.
- The main provisions of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
- Codes of practice.
- Guidance notes.
New IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 exam format
Upon completion of the IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 course you will be able to take the accompanying exam. The exam will be presented in a multiple choice format made up of 30 short questions. You will need to answer a minimum of 20 questions correctly to pass this exam.
You will also be required to complete a workplace-based assignment where you will have to achieve a minimum of 23 marks out of a possible 38. Once you have met all the above requirements, you will be officially certified by IOSH with the IOSH Managing Safely certification.
Career paths for IOSH Managing Safely
Once you have gained your IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 certification, you will qualify to work in any of the following roles:
- Health and Safety Advisor
- Health and Safety Officer
- Health and Safety Inspector
- Health and Safety Supervisor
- Health and Safety Manager
Upon gaining your IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 certification, you will have gained the ability to identify and assess risks pertaining to health and safety in the workplace, a balanced perspective of occupational health and safety issues and a strong understanding of the importance and reasons for investigations into health and safety issues and incidents.
The IOSH Managing Safely 4.0 course can not only be seen as a tool to help managers and supervisors perform their duties as far as health and safety in the workplace is concerned, but can also be used as a platform from which to build a rewarding and lucrative health and safety career.
It will ready you to take on more advanced and specialist courses such as the NEBOSH Construction Safety and Health course or the NEBOSH Oil and Gas Safety course, depending on which sector you choose to specialise in.
Get in touch with one of our experts to discuss Health and Safety training.