The NEBOSH National Diploma course (2021 publication) is assessed by three open book assessments:
- Unit ND1*: Assignment in four parts covering – simulations, workplace based activities, reflective tasks and a research project. This paper has an approximately 60 hours assessment time.
- Unit ND2: Case study, which is a scenario based, simulation only assessment with an approximately 40 hours assessment time.
- Unit ND3: Case study, which is a scenario based, simulation only assessment with an approximately 40 hours assessment time.
There are 3 units to study with 11 learning outcomes, covering 53 topics:
- Unit ND1: Know – Workplace health and safety principles (UK) – 31 topics
- Unit ND2: Do – Controlling workplace health issues (UK) – 15 topics
- Unit ND3: Do – Controlling workplace safety issues (UK) – 12 topics
How the course is graded
To achieve the NEBOSH National Diploma for Occupational Health & Safety Management Professionals, students must pass all three assessments and there is a notional pass mark for each paper of 50%.
To achieve the minimum pass grade the percentage grade for each unit are added together and the grading boundaries are as follows:
- 0 – 149 marks: Refer
- 150 – 195 marks: Pass
- 196 – 225 marks: Credit
- 226 marks and above: Distinction
*To complete the Unit ND1 assessment, learners need to have access to a suitable workplace, to undertake some workplace-based activities. There is no requirement for the workplace to be the learners own, the only requirement is that it is suitable to carry out a range of activities.