Are you aware of this surprising statistic:
A study conducted by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) in the UK revealed that 71% of UK organisations admit to failing to effectively train first-time managers.
Effectively, this means that people in management roles are less likely to receive training than any other employee in a company.
“British firms may grumble about ‘talent poverty’ but it’s a direct result of businesses’ under-investment in management skills training – especially for more senior roles,”
Petra Wilton – CMI director of strategy
The above is one of the major takeaways from this study – it also serves as a theme for the rest of this blog post for us to explore the value of management training for business success.
If you are:
- A business struggling to build a strong management team to achieve your business goals – this blog post will present you with a solution
- Or, you are an experienced professional keen to grow into a management career and require specialist qualifications from a highly respected and reputable institution,
This post also has a solution for you.
But, before we go any further, let’s wrap our heads around who the CMI is and what they do.
What Is the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)?
The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) is the UK’s largest professional body for managers and leaders, with over 100,000 members worldwide.
As a professional organisation, the CMI offers a range of courses for the UK- and worldwide- at different levels to suit management and business leaders’ career aspirations.
Whether taking your first steps into management or looking to improve your skills, investing in a CMI qualification can help you stand out from the competition and build momentum in your career.
CMI Qualification Levels Explained
For people new to these courses and qualifications, you should know that CMI courses begin at Level 2 to Level 7 and encompass a variety of roles.
Here’s a breakdown of the different levels:
Levels 2 and 3
Levels 2 and 3 present a diverse range of subjects, catering to aspiring, supervisory, or first-line managers. These levels encompass various topics, including team leadership, project management, and resource management.
Levels 4 and 5
These levels are for middle managers and emphasise developing core management skills such as resource management, recruitment, and information management.
Levels 6 and 7
Levels 6 and 7 are developed for senior managers tasked with translating organisational strategy into effective performance.
Understanding CMI Award, Certificate, or Diploma Levels
CMI qualifications are offered at different levels; these levels are determined by how in-depth the qualification is and by the expected completion time.
Award: An Award is the quickest way to gain a CMI qualification. They are typically short courses that focus on a specific management topic.
Certificate: A Certificate is a more comprehensive qualification covering various management topics. It takes longer to complete than an Award (between three to six months).
This qualification will give you a deeper understanding of management principles and practices.
Diploma: A Diploma is the highest level of CMI qualification, taking six to twelve months to complete. At this level, you must complete several units, including an independent research project.
Four Practical Ways CMI Qualifications Benefit Your Career
Credibility and recognition
CMI qualifications hold industry recognition and respect.
Did you know: Over 150 professional bodies recognise CMI qualifications, including the Association of MBAs (AMBA), the British Accreditation Council (BAC), and the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD)?
CMI qualifications are also on the Register of Regulated Qualifications maintained by Ofqual, England’s independent qualifications regulator.
In practical terms, this means:
Say you were a mid-level manager applying for a senior management position in a competitive organisation.
You hold a CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership. During the interview, you emphasise your CMI qualification, explaining how it equipped you with the necessary skills in strategic planning, team leadership, and change management.
The hiring manager recognises the value of CMI qualifications and is impressed by your commitment to professional growth, enhancing your credibility as a strong candidate.
Enhance professional credibility
CMI qualifications provide a framework for individuals to develop their management and leadership skills.
They cover all the important aspects of management, from strategic planning and decision-making to people management and finance.
These are qualifications designed to fuel progress in management careers, help professionals earn higher salaries, and gain access to senior management roles. In addition, holding a CMI qualification demonstrates a commitment to professional development and enhances your employability.
In practical terms, this means:
Say you were a recent graduate seeking an entry-level role in a fast-paced industry.
In an effort to stand out, you include your CMI Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Management and Leadership on your CV.
When attending job interviews, recruiters notice your CMI qualification and appreciate the proactive approach to gaining foundational management knowledge.
In this case, this qualification helps you stand out among other candidates with similar educational backgrounds, boosting your professional credibility and increasing your chances of securing a desirable position.
Develop knowledge of management best practice
These are specialist training programmes for professionals, recognised for their quality learning experience – making them the global gold standard in management and leadership development.
By completing a CMI qualification, you gain practical skills and knowledge to progress in your career and reach your full potential as a professional.
- CMI qualifications help you gain practical skills and knowledge to apply to your career.
- CMI training offers you a number of networking opportunities with fellow professionals to gain valuable industry insights.
- Employers regard CMI qualifications highly, opening doors to exciting career opportunities for you.
- Completing a CMI qualification will give you a competitive edge when applying for jobs or promotions.
Increase opportunities for career advancement
Interested in qualifications respected by employers in various sectors? Then CMI qualifications are what you should be looking for.
Here is how they help advance your career:
- Progression within your current organisation – CMI qualifications can help you to stand out from your peers and progress in your career.
- A move to a new organisation – CMI qualifications can give you the edge when applying for jobs with new organisations.
- A change in direction – CMI qualifications help you move into a different management area or even start your own business if interested.
- Improved earning potential – CMI-qualified managers typically earn more than their non-qualified counterparts. For example, £13k is the average pay rise as a result of becoming Chartered, and £22.4k is the additional contribution to the UK economy every year from each management professional becoming Chartered with CMI.
- Increased job satisfaction – CMI-qualified professionals often report higher levels of job satisfaction than those without qualifications. For example:
- 91% of professionals say their self-awareness has increased due to becoming chartered through CMI.
81% say their skills have improved due to becoming chartered by CMI.
76% say that being a Chartered Manager provides the “ultimate competitive advantage”.
Access to networking and a professional community
Along with the skills and knowledge you gain from CMI courses, we would be remiss, not to mention the career-boosting opportunities that networking provides for your career.
In this regard, the CMI offers networking opportunities and a professional community for its members.
These networking opportunities, such as conferences and seminars, allow members to meet other professionals in their field and learn from their experiences.
The professional community is an excellent way for members to stay updated on industry news and developments and connect with fellow professionals.
Benefits of Connecting With Like-Minded Professionals and Industry Experts
Connecting with like-minded professionals and industry experts offers many professional and personal advantages.
Let’s explore some of these next.
- Develop your skills and knowledge: Connecting with like-minded professionals and industry experts can help develop your skills and expertise in your chosen field.
- Expand your network: Meeting fellow professionals in your industry will expand your network of contacts – which can connect you to new opportunities and networking for business purposes.
- Keep up with industry trends: Staying connected with other professionals means you keep up with the latest industry trends.
- Get advice and feedback: When you connect with other professionals, you receive expert advice and feedback on your management style and approach.
Why is this invaluable? It allows you to refine your methods and become more effective as a management professional.
- Boost your career prospects: Connecting with like-minded professionals increases your visibility within the industry, resulting in exciting career prospects.
How CMI Empowers You With the Knowledge and Skills for a Successful Management Career
CMI Student Testimonial: Monica
- What did she study? CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership
- How did she find the learning experience and course? It was beneficial. She found the training staff helpful and generous with their time and knowledge during her studies.
- Overall, what has the entire learning experience been like? It has been a good learning curve, and she is excited to see how it goes.
CMI Student Testimonial: Peter
- What did he study? CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership
- How did he find the learning experience and course? He found the website and training material easy to navigate and get through.
- Overall, what has the entire learning experience been like? He had an overall good experience and would recommend studying with ITonlinelearning.
Learn more about people’s experience learning with CMI and ITonlinelearning.
Game-Changing Qualifications for Management Professionals
You now have a solid understanding of CMI qualifications: what they are, how they are structured, and how they help to build management and leadership skills for ambitious professionals in all fields.
Take the next step in your career path by inquiring with us about our extensive range of CMI qualifications ranging from:
CMI Level 2 – Team leading
CMI Level 3 – Principles of Management and Leadership
CMI Level 4 – Management and Leadership
CMI Level 5 – Management and leadership
CMI Level 6 – Professional Management and Leadership Practice
CMI level 7 – Strategic Management and Leadership Practice
Advance your management career with specialist CMI courses. Start today!